Buffalo tempeh wings with vegenaise bbq sauce and a raspberry pomegranate lemon mocktail…
- 2 eight oz packages of tempeh
- 2/3 cup non-dairy milk (i use coconut or hemp or cashew)
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour (gluten-free preferable, but you can sub with garbanzo or sorghum or almond flours as well)
- 1 tspn salt (i use himalayan or sea salts)
- 2 tspn dried thyme leaves
- 2 tspn paprika (i used cayenne pepper instead)
- 1 tspn garlic powder
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups panko or gluten-free bread crumbs
- oil to coat the pan (i use a combo of avocado and coconut oils)
for the wing sauce…
- 1/4 cup butter (i use Earth Balance)
- 1 cup hot sauce (whatever brand you like)
- 1 tbsp ketchup (avoid high-fructose-corn syrup ones)
- 1 tspn agave or organic honey
for the dipping sauce, i mix a few spoons of vegenaise with some bbq sauce.
depending on how intense you want the flavor to be, mix accordingly, there is no set ratio.
i just “wing” it :)
cut the tempeh into strips.
boil in water.
remove from stove, rinse in cold water.
set out 3 mixing bowls.
in the 1st, pour in the non-dairy milk.
in the 2nd, combine the flour and spices.
in the 3rd, add the panko or bread crumbs.
preheat oven to 400F.
dip each tempeh strip in to the milk, coat with the flour mixture, redip into the milk, then coat with the panko or bread crumbs.
place each strip as it is done in a pan and saute for a few minutes until it starts getting golden brown.
then dip the tempeh strips in to the wing sauce and place on foiled baking sheet.
put into the oven and bake for about 15 minutes.
serve with the vegenaise bbq sauce and some sides of veggies like celery or carrots or broccoli.
you can garnish the buffalo tempeh with dried or fresh parsley or basil.
and as for the drink, i decided to make a mocktail…just pomegranate juice with fresh raspberries and lemon…and since it is sunday funday…the glass says it all.
have fun and be healthy and creative!